Arrest made in serious assault, Christchurch

Source: New Zealand Police

Attributable to Detective Sergeant Ben Rolton, Christchurch Metro Crime:

Police investigating the serious assault at a residential property on Fitzgerald Avenue on Monday have made an arrest in relation to the incident.

A 40-year-old man will appear in the Christchurch District Court today, charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the assault.

The incident was reported to Police around 12.20pm where a man was found in a critical condition, with injuries consistent with being stabbed.

A scene guard was placed overnight at the property while officers carried out their investigation.

The victim from the incident remains in hospital, in a stable condition.

Police thank the public for their assistance and patience as investigators carried out their enquiries.

Police won’t be making any further comment as the matter is now before the courts.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Police seek information about Rānui fire

Source: New Zealand Police

Waitematā Police is seeking information about a fire at a Rānui house in the early hours of the morning.

Emergency services attended Vino Cina Heights after midnight, with the roof fully alight.

A scene examination was completed today at the address alongside a fire investigator.

“We believe this fire has been caused by a flare, which is commonly used by boaties and one that launches a projectile,” acting Detective Inspector Megan Goldie, Waitematā CIB says.

“Based on enquiries so far it appears this is an accidental fire as a result of reckless actions.”

It’s by good fortune only that Police are not dealing with fatalities.

“The house is completely uninhabitable and has been extensively damaged.”

Acting Detective Inspector Goldie says Police is seeking information about two people seen running away from the area.

“As a result of an area canvass this morning, residents have reported seeing two people running away after a loud bang was heard.”

A short time later the fire began.

Acting Detective Inspector Goldie says: “If you have any information, we need to hear from you.

“I would also call on those people who are involved to do the right thing and own up to what has happened.”

Anyone with further information to assist us should contact 105 using the reference number 260211/6037.

Information can also be provided anonymously via Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS. 

Jarred Williamson/NZ Police

Busted: Woman arrested over elaborate 18-year scam

Source: New Zealand Police

Dunedin and Auckland Police have got together, making an arrest over an alleged romance scam that has spanned nearly two decades.

Over this period an unsuspecting Dunedin man has lost more than half a million dollars.

Today, Dunedin Police executed a search warrant at an Auckland property, assisted by the Auckland City Financial Crime Unit.

A 44-year-old Ellerslie woman was arrested and faces a representative charge of obtains by deception.

“Police will allege in court that this scam has run for a period of 18 years, beginning online in 2006,” acting Detective Senior Sergeant Ali Ramsay, from the Auckland City Financial Crime Unit, says.

“The offender in this case has allegedly obtained $525,537 through this elaborate scam.”

The woman is expected to appear in the Auckland District Court on 17 February 2026.

Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Ramsay says being able to put an alleged offender before the Court is a good outcome.

“Our colleagues in Dunedin have been investigating this case, and we’re glad to have assisted in this result,” she says.

“Romance scams are usually perpetrated by offshore offenders, making prosecutions difficult for law enforcement.

“At the very heart of this are victims whose good nature is taken advantage of, causing emotional and financial stress.”

Police are unable to comment further about specifics in the case as matters are now before the Court.

Police remind the public to be extremely cautious when meeting new people online or through dating applications.

  • Netsafe has more information on romance scams and what to look out for on its website.

ENDS. 

Jarred Williamson/NZ Police

Auckland FC fitness coach Elias Boukarim exits

Source: Radio New Zealand

Auckland FC move on from fitness coach with months left in A-League season. www.ofcproleague.com

Auckland FC have parted ways with their inaugural head of performance midway through the A-League season.

Australian Elias Boukarim was credited with establishing a high-performance unit and running pre-season training sessions that players described as “hardest I’ve ever had”.

Boukarim left the club last week.

He had previously worked in the A-League with Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC before arriving in Auckland.

Last year Auckland FC director of football Terry McFlynn told A-League media players took a while to get used to Boukarim.

“I think the first two, three weeks, the boys absolutely despised him, hated him. But once you get to know him and know that everything he’s doing is coming from a good place, and it’s to make you better, they all love him.”

The club said after Boukarim’s sudden departure he had returned to Sydney to be with family and would not discuss his exit further.

Boukarim’s role with Auckland FC involved fitness and injury prevention.

The club said the “wider coaching team” was filling Boukarim’s duties and recruitment for a replacement would happen at “some stage soon”.

Elias Boukarim, fourth from right in cap, with Auckland FC coaching staff in April. Andrew Cornaga/www.photosport.nz

The fitness of the Premiers Plate-winning playing squad last season was often referred to as a reason that the team could be competitive late in games.

Despite Auckland dropping competition points by conceding late goals in their second season in the league, coach Steve Corica brushed off suggestions fitness was a contributing factor to the lapses.

“That’s a tiring period for a team but I think we’re fit enough, it’s a mentality thing not to want to concede and be in the right spot, everyone working hard for each other I think is very important I think that’s part of our motto from the start and if everyone does that I think we start winning games again and get back to the top as soon as possible hopefully,” Corica said before Saturday’s 1-0 win over Sydney FC.

Last season the club had one major injury, with defender Dan Hall breaking his ankle in training and being sidelined for months.

This season captain Hiroki Sakai has battled with a hamstring injury that has kept him out of the side over two stints and Guillermo May has worked back from a knee injury.

Elias Boukarim, left, during an Auckland FC training session at North Harbour Stadium this season. RNZ / Marika Khabazi

Among the latest injuries are goalkeeper Oli Sail who has had season-ending knee surgery and defender Nando Pijnaker who was also injured in the same game as Sail and has a leg injury that prevented him playing last week.

Auckland are currently second on the A-League ladder and play Sydney FC in Sydney on Tuesday in a catch-up game for a match that was postponed in December due to poor pitch conditions.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Christchurch terrorist exaggerating prison distress, psychologist tells court

Source: Radio New Zealand

Al Noor Mosque where 51 people were killed in a terrorist attack in 2019. RNZ / Nate McKinnon

A forensic psychologist has called into question a report prepared for the white supremacist who massacred 51 worshippers at two Christchurch mosques.

Australian Brenton Tarrant is serving life imprisonment without parole for the March 2019 shootings at Christchurch’s Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Islamic Centre.

The 35-year-old now claims he pleaded guilty only because he was irrational due to the solitary nature of his prison conditions.

He is seeking to overturn his convictions and sentence at the Court of Appeal.

On Monday, a psychologist, whose name is suppressed and is only known as Witness B, told the court the prison conditions affected the terrorist’s mental health.

The psychologist said the conditions were onerous and would have affected anyone’s mental health.

On Wednesday, forensic psychologist Professor James Ogloff, Dean of Health Sciences at Swinburne University in Melbourne, questioned the conclusions of that psychologist.

The terrorist was not subjected to deprivation or torture in prison, Ogloff told the court.

Ogloff said he believed when the terrorist spoke with Witness B he might have been consciously exaggerating the distress he claimed to be under at the time he pleaded guilty.

The terrorist’s argument for setting aside his guilty pleas was he claimed he was incapable of making a rational decision at the time because of the torturous and inhumane prison conditions.

A psychologist and a psychiatrist assessed the terrorist before his sentencing in August 2020. Both concluded he was fit to plea at that time.

Ogloff said he had no reason to call into question those assessments.

However, Witness B’s report appeared to reach the opposite conclusion and Witness B based much of his thinking on speaking to the terrorist several years after the time in question, Ogloff said.

When giving evidence on Monday, Witness B had tried to minimise his disagreement with the earlier assessments and appeared to back down from many of his report’s points, Ogloff said.

The terrorist was housed in the prisoners of extreme risk unit in Auckland Prison.

He was cut off from meaningful interaction with other people, including fellow prisoners.

Ogloff said he was not claiming the prison conditions were positive, but nor were they so harsh that severe mental deterioration was inevitable.

On Tuesday, the court heard from the two lawyers who represented the terrorist from late March 2019 until July 2020.

The pair presented an image of a man who was concerned with the attention he received in the outside world, who wanted to control the aspects of his legal proceedings he could, and who was often dismissive of his lawyer’s advice.

The terrorist had indicated to his lawyers he wanted to plead guilty in late July 2019 before again changing his mind several days later.

He finally pleaded guilty in March 2020 but the process was rushed.

However, both lawyers told the court the terrorist had indicated he would always plead guilty but he wanted to control when that happened.

Neither had any concerns about his fitness to provide instruction or to plea.

The court will hear evidence from the final witnesses on Wednesday afternoon before legal arguments on Thursday and Friday.

If the terrorist is successful, his guilty pleas will be overturned and he will stand trial in the High Court.

If he is unsuccessful, an appeal of his sentence will be heard, likely later this year.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Teen allegedly steals e-bike at knifepoint, falls off while being tracked by police helicopter

Source: Radio New Zealand

RNZ / REECE BAKER

An alleged e-bike thief was caught by police after he crashed the bike he is believed to have stolen.

Police were called to reports that an electric trail bike had been taken at knifepoint from Coliseum Drive in the Auckland suburb of Albany at 7.41pm on Tuesday.

The police Eagle helicopter was already in the area, and located the suspect riding at “excessive speed” heading south down the Northern Busway, police said.

“The bike has continued to be tracked by Eagle, as it exited at Constellation Station, making its way onto the Northern Motorway,” Inspector Aron McKeown said.

The suspect was seen exiting at Tristram Avenue, heading for Beacroft Park, McKeown said.

“This reckless run came to an end after he fell off the bike on Bevyn Street.

“The 15-year-old didn’t suffer any injuries, but he did find himself in handcuffs and under arrest.”

Police charged him with aggravated robbery, reckless driving and possession for supply of cannabis.

He will appear at the North Shore Youth Court today.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Vascular surgery now available in Northland

Source: New Zealand Government

Northlanders will now be able to access key vascular surgery procedures at Whangārei Hospital, marking an important step in improving access to essential specialist care in the region.

“People in Northland who need renal fistula surgery or varicose vein treatment will now be able to receive that care closer to where they live, without having to travel to Auckland,” Mr Brown says. 

“Travelling for treatment can be stressful and disruptive for patients and their families, and providing these procedures locally is a practical step that will make a real difference.”

The new service builds on the vascular outpatient clinics and nurse specialist support that Auckland-based teams have provided for some time. While specialist teams have regularly travelled north to support patients, until now surgery itself could only be completed in Auckland.

“Delivering these procedures monthly at Whangārei Hospital is the next stage in strengthening the vascular service for Northlanders.

“It expands on the longstanding support provided by visiting vascular teams and reflects a commitment to ensuring more care is delivered as close to home as possible.”

Clinical nurse specialists have also been recruited to coordinate care, provide pre- operative and post operative support, and ensure patients have a seamless experience across both local and visiting services.

“Improving access to quality health services in regional and rural New Zealand is a priority for the Government. Strengthening services in places like Northland is an important part of fixing the basics and building a health system that works better for patients across the country,” Mr Brown says.

Why are new tea towels worse at drying dishes than old ones?

Source: Radio New Zealand

There’s a peculiar ritual in many kitchens: reaching past the crisp, pristine tea towel hanging on the oven door to grab the threadbare, slightly greying one shoved in the drawer.

We all know that old faithful dries dishes better, even if we can’t quite explain why. It seems counter-intuitive – shouldn’t brand new towels, fresh from the packaging, outperform their worn-out predecessors?

Yet here we are, instinctively choosing the frayed over the fresh.

That “worn in” feeling we associate with our favourite bath towels, tea towels and even bed linens isn’t just nostalgia.

Arina Habich

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Government launches independent review into Reserve Bank’s Covid-19 response

Source: Radio New Zealand

The review into the Reserve Bank was to identify key lessons, the government said. (File photo) RNZ

The government is launching an independent review of the Reserve Bank’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, due to be published just months out from the election.

The review – to be released in September – will focus on the central bank’s actions, including cutting the official cash rate to 0.25 percent and engaging in money printing.

It would also look at the coordination of monetary and fiscal policy – that is, how the bank’s response interacted with the government’s.

Finance Minister Nicola Willis said the review’s purpose was to identify any key lessons, in light of the associated spike in inflation and house prices.

“The Reserve Bank of New Zealand took unprecedented action in response to the Covid-19 pandemic,” she said.

Finance Minister Nicola Willis. (File photo) RNZ / Nathan McKinnon

“These actions helped to preserve jobs and keep businesses afloat, but the indirect impacts included decades-high inflation, and losses of about $10.3 billion on the LSAP [Large Scale Asset Purchase] programme and a significant spike in asset values with house prices increasing 30 per cent in one year.”

In October, Reserve Bank chief economist Paul Conway told a Sydney investment conference the LSAP scheme, commonly referred to as money printing, had effectively paid for itself and helped the economy to function at a time of stress.

“By boosting economic activity during the pandemic, LSAPs increased government tax revenues,” Conway said.

“This higher revenue almost entirely covered the direct losses from LSAPs, leaving consolidated crown debt virtually unchanged over the medium term.”

Other commentators have strongly criticised the LSAP programme, the cost and the related programme of $19b of cheap loans to banks.

Monetary policy experts Athanasios Orphanides and David Archer have been appointed to carry out the independent review.

Orphanides was a former governor of the Central Bank of Cyprus and member of the Governing Council of the European Central Bank.

Archer was a former Reserve Bank assistant governor and former head of the Central Banking Studies Unit at the Bank for International Settlements.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Police request public’s help in finding Hastings stabbing suspect

Source: Radio New Zealand

Police said the alleged offender fled the scene prior to their arrival. RNZ / Richard Tindiller

A man remains in critical condition after being stabbed in Hastings on Saturday, and police are appealing for more information on his attackers whereabouts.

Police said they were called to a stabbing at an address in the Karamu Road North area at around 3.25am where a man was found with “severe injuries”.

“Police immediately provided first aid before paramedics transported him to hospital, where he underwent surgery,” a spokesperson said. “He remains in a critical condition.”

Police said the alleged offender fled the scene prior to their arrival.

“At approximately 6am, police received information about a man hiding at a property on Mayfair Avenue, not far from where the incident occurred.

“The man was located and arrested without further incident.”

Police said he had been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and was remanded in custody.

Police were now seeking CCTV footage from residents in the surrounding area that may have captured information between the time of the incident and his arrest.

“Residents are asked to carefully check the time settings on their cameras, including any daylight‑savings adjustments, to ensure footage covers the relevant period.”

Police also asked locals to check their properties for any items that may have been discarded by the alleged offender.

Anyone with information is asked to make a report at 105.police.govt.nz or by calling 105.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand