Police appeal for information on historical offending at Wellington school

Source: New Zealand Police

Attributable to Detective Senior Sergeant Karen Simmons:

Police are appealing for anyone who may have information on offending by Father Rowan Donoghue to come forward.

This comes after all suppressions for Father Donoghue lifted on 28 January 2026.

He has pleaded guilty in Christchurch District Court on 13 November 2025, in relation to a number of historical offences against former students at St. Bede’s College in Christchurch, and is set for sentencing later this year.

Following the lifting of all suppression, Police have been made aware that former students of Wellington school St. Patrick’s College Silverstream, have alleged similar offending by Father Donoghue.

Father Donoghue worked at St. Patrick’s College Silverstream from 1982 to 1992.

We know it can be incredibly difficult and at times distressing to talk about these matters, but we would like to reassure any victims of offending that we will take them seriously.

Police has a number of officers and detectives dedicated to these cases, and we provide a safe space to report offending in confidence.

If you have any information or would like to report similar offending, please contact us online at 105.police.govt.nz or call 105.

We can then contact you to make appropriate arrangements to discuss matters in an appropriate and safe way.

ENDS

Investigation underway into suspicious Auckland factory fire

Source: Radio New Zealand

Up to eight crews were called to the two-storey building on Patrick Street. RNZ / Cole Eastham-Farrelly

Police say the fire that ripped through the top floor of a factory in the Auckland suburb of Onehunga is being treated as suspicious.

Up to eight crews were called to the two-storey building on Patrick Street at 2.15am on Friday, where they found the upper floor fully alight.

Fire and Emergency said the bulk of the blaze had been extinguished by 3am.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Police said staff will work with fire investigators, with a scene examination to be completed later on Friday.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

KiwiSaver managers under pressure as hardship applications spike

Source: Radio New Zealand

The Government has canned the $1000 KiwiSaver kickstart programme. 123RF

Fisher Funds says it has made some changes to the team that manages its hardship applications, with KiwiSaver managers under pressure as withdrawal applications spiked.

Inland Revenue data showed there were 58,460 withdrawals for hardship reasons in 2025, 10,000 more than were made for a first home.

In total, $514.8 million was withdrawn from KiwiSaver because of hardship and $2.1 billion for a first home.

Some applicants faced delays as providers struggled to keep up with the volume.

Fisher Funds said some changes were made last year to its team, for the eight staff based in Hawke’s Bay.

“We put a change proposal to them, inviting them to relocate to Auckland/or Wellington and unfortunately none of them took up the offer.

“All roles were replaced with people in either Auckland or Wellington.”

A spokesperson said Fisher Funds was not immune to the overall increase in applications and, anticipating that Christmas would be a time of additional pressure on household budgets, extra staff were added from November through January.

Milford Asset Management has a partnership with DebtFix, to help manage the hardship application process. It, too, has seen a significant increase in applications.

A spokesperson for Westpac said it had added staff to its team, to handle first-home withdrawals as well as hardship applications.

“We’ve improved some of our internal processes to make it faster and more efficient for customers.”

Sign up for Money with Susan Edmunds, a weekly newsletter covering all the things that affect how we make, spend and invest money.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Hilary Duff announces first world tour in almost 20 years

Source: Radio New Zealand

Ex-Disney pop singer Hilary Duff has announced her first-ever headlining New Zealand show.

The Lizzie McGuire star will perform at Spark Arena on 20 October, as part of her world-spanning ‘lucky me’ tour.

The show’s announcement comes ahead of the release of her first new album in over a decade, luck… or something, out 20 February.

Duff’s big break came in the early-2000s hit Disney show Lizzie McGuire, playing the title character, before branching out into music.

She has sold millions of albums, and songs from her new album like ‘Roommates’ and ‘Mature’ have racked up millions of views.

The ‘lucky me’ tour will see her visit the US, Canada, Mexico, the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

The support act at Spark Arena will be synthpop singer La Roux.

General public ticket sales kick kick off 1pm 20 February.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Dirt bike rider sees red and blue

Source: New Zealand Police

A dirt bike rider allegedly caught driving dangerously through Ōtara has had his wheels confiscated and is facing a raft of charges.

On Sunday, Police observed a dirt bike rider allegedly weaving in and out of traffic on Bairds Road.

Senior Sergeant Simon Cornish, of Counties Manukau East Police, says the rider was seen running a red light but wasn’t pursued due to the potential risk the driver’s behaviour posed to the public.

“A short time later Police saw the dirt bike driving at speed on Sandbrook Avenue before stalling in a driveway on Bairds Road.

“Staff have then quickly taken him into custody, however a search has located bags of cannabis and methamphetamine, along with an amount of cash.”

Senior Sergeant Cornish says the man is now facing a range of charges including dangerous driving, possession for supply of methamphetamine and possession of cannabis.

“Unsafe and illegal dirt bike riding activity possess a significant risk to not only themselves, but members of the public going about their business.

“Police will continue to respond and hold these offenders to account for this type of dangerous activity.”

A 23-year-old man had his bike impounded for 28 days and was remanded in custody and will reappear in Manukau District Court on 20 February.

ENDS.

Holly McKay/NZ Police

Crash causing delays, Woodhill

Source: New Zealand Police

Motorists are being advised to expect delays following a serious crash in Woodhill, Whangārei this morning.

The crash, at the intersection of Western Hills Drive and Maunu Road, was reported to Police just after 7.30am.

At this stage is appears one person has been seriously injured.

Western Hills Drive is down to one lane in both directions.

Motorists are being advised to expect delays or seek an alternative route.

The Serious Crash Unit has been notified.

ENDS.

Holly McKay/NZ Police

Serious crash: Karaka Road / State Highway 7, Waikari

Source: New Zealand Police

State Highway 7, between McRaes and Mt Alexander Roads, is blocked following a single vehicle crash.

Emergency services received reports of the crash about 6.40am.

Initial enquiries indicate that there have been serious injuries.

The Serious Crash Unit has been advised.

Traffic management is in place and motorists should expect delays.

ENDS

Multiple people trapped after crash in north Canterbury

Source: Radio New Zealand

RNZ / REECE BAKER

Emergency services are responding to a crash in north Canterbury, that has left multiple people trapped.

Fire and Emergency NZ said it was called to State Highway 7, north of Waikari, at about 6.40am on Friday after a car went off the road.

At least four fire crews are working to help free people trapped in the car.

One of the people trapped is in a critical condition and three others in a serious condition.

St John said it is responding with three ambulances and a helicopter.

Motorists are told to expect delays.

Police have been contacted for comment.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

NZ-Singapore e-certification arrangement to boost trade in food & primary products

Source: New Zealand Government

New Zealand and Singapore have signed a new electronic certification arrangement that will streamline trade and reduce costs, Trade and Investment, and Agriculture Minister Todd McClay says.

Export health certification confirms products meet the importing country’s regulatory requirements, including in animal or plant health, hygiene, and food safety.

The current paper-based system will be replaced by the new arrangement which enables real-time digital exchange of export health certification between New Zealand and Singapore for trade in food and primary products.

“It will streamline border processes, improve efficiency, reduce costs, enhance supply chain security and integrity, and help products clear borders and reach markets sooner,” Mr McClay says.

“Singapore is one of our closest trade partners, and last year we marked 60 years of diplomatic ties between our countries. The new arrangement speaks to the strength of this relationship and will enable trade growth.

“It also progresses us towards New Zealand’s aspirational goal of doubling the value of exports in 10 years. This Government is focused on building the future and delivering prosperity for New Zealanders.”

New Zealand’s food and primary product exports to Singapore reached $1.2 billion in the year to 30 November 2025.

The arrangement, signed in Singapore, forms part of New Zealand’s and Singapore’s Joint Plan of Action under the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.

Issues for Liam Lawson at F1 testing ‘something I haven’t mastered yet’

Source: Radio New Zealand

Formula 1 driver Liam Lawson of Visa Cash App Racing Bulls during F1 testing in Bahrain, 2026. MARCEL VAN DORST / AFP

Liam Lawson got through 50 laps in the morning session on day two of Formula 1 pre-season testing in Bahrain admitting they had a few issues.

The 24 year old spent much of the session sporting an aero rack on his new 2026 Racing Bulls car.

He recorded a best time that was 3.7 seconds slower than Charles Leclerc, who was the quickest in the session in his Ferrari.

Lawson spent his first session in data gathering mode for the team with the aero rack placed in front of the rear wing collecting information on air flow.

The information can be used for the front wing set-up and also for future car upgrades.

“We had a few little issues today that stopped a bit of running so early days. We’re learning as fast as we can, it’s obviously all very new,” Lawson said.

There are significant changes in 2026 with the cars smaller and lighter and no longer running DRS while half of their power is now electrically generated.

“It’s very new, it’s very different, a different driving style and it is more sensitive so we have to be a lot more aware behind the wheel.

“It is definitely something I haven’t mastered yet so we’ll spend the next few weeks trying to be as prepared for Melbourne as we can.”

Lawson will spend all day in the car on Friday with another test session again in Bahrain next week.

“Coming into the test we know to try not to be frustrated when we have these small things that stop runs, but the main thing is to try and put the car in a good place today and we have tomorrow to learn a lot more.

“Next week is probably when we spend a lot more time on performance rather than anything else.”

Lawson’s new team-mate Arvid Lindblad drove the car in the afternoon session and got through another 82 laps and went slightly faster than Lawson.

Leclerc completed 139 laps with the fastest time ahead of world champion Lando Norris in a McLaren and Oliver Bearman in a Haas.

Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Oscar Piastri were among the seven drivers who didn’t take part in testing today.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand