Search for fisherman missing at Tapotupotu Bay continues

Source: Radio New Zealand

Northland Coastguard Air Patrol conducting the aerial search for a fisherman who was swept off the rocks at Tapotupotu Bay near Cape Reinga. Northland Coastguard Air Patrol

The Police Dive Squad is searching the water near Cape Reinga for a fisherman swept from rocks at Tapotupotu Bay.

The man was fishing at the remote location with friends when he was washed into the sea around 3pm on 23 November.

Police, Search and Rescue, Coastguard Air Patrol, Customs, Surf Lifesaving and the Northern Rescue Helicopter were all involved in the initial search.

It’s understood high winds in recent days have hampered the search but conditions at the Cape on Monday are fine with light seas.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Man taken to hospital with bruised ribs left paralysed after chest drain inserted incorrectly

Source: Radio New Zealand

Unsplash / RNZ composite

A man who was taken to hospital with fractured ribs and bruised lungs was left paraplegic after a chest drain was inserted incorrectly.

The man had been admitted to Auckland City Hospital following a car crash in 2022 where, four days into his stay, he was assessed as having a build-up of fluid between the tissue lining his lungs and chest and would require surgery.

Health NZ’s Chest Drain Management policy stated, unless in an emergency, all chest drains for fluid aspiration should be guided by real-time radiology imaging.

However, said the request for real-time radiology imaging was not accommodated by the Interventional Radiology team, for reasons Health NZ were unable to determine, according to a Health and Disability Commission (HDC) report released on Monday.

Two attempts were made to insert the chest drain using the different technique, before other doctors took over. 123rf.com

A chest ultrasound was scheduled to indicate where the drain should be inserted, but the patient was in pain and could not be moved for the scan, the report said.

A different technique was used, that was deemed to be less painful and invasive.

Two attempts were made by a registrar to insert the chest drain using the different technique, before other doctors took over.

Dark, old-looking blood was drawn from the patient, and he began to sweat. His condition deteriorated and a code red was issued, the report said.

“The code red response was described in the [Serious Adverse Event Review] as chaotic, noisy, and without a clear code leader or any detailed communication or indication of the volume of blood that [the patient] had lost.”

“Sadly, as a result of hypovolemic shock and cardiac arrest, [the patient] developed ischaemic bowel and spinal cord injury, which resulted in paraplegia from the level of the T9 vertebrae, and suspected mild hypoxic brain injury,” the report said.

The investigation by the HDC revealed the chest drain was inserted incorrectly, which led to a hepatic vein injury and massive bleeding.

Other issues had arisen from the resuscitation efforts, it said.

“…the procedure room was cluttered, and there was a lack of code leader to determine when a code red and subsequent code blue was required.”

“In addition, the communication among the staff present was poor, and the equipment required for a code red and/or code blue was not readily available as it should have been.”

Deputy Health and Disability Commissioner Dr Vanessa Caldwell recommended Health NZ’s chest drain policy be updated. RNZ / Jimmy Ellingham

Deputy Health and Disability Commissioner Dr Vanessa Caldwell recommended Health NZ’s chest drain policy be updated, encompassing environmental safety, training and education requirements, as well as technical guidelines, and oversight of relationships.

She wanted a copy of the updated policy within six months of the report.

Caldwell also recommended the senior clinician who made the decision to perform the procedure without real-time radiology, write an apology to the patient.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Search for 13-year-old Auckland girl Metallica missing for two weeks

Source: Radio New Zealand

Missing 13-year-old Metallica. Supplied / Police

An Auckland teenager has been missing for more than two weeks.

Police are now asking for the public’s help in finding her.

Metallica, 13, was reported missing from the Manurewa area, in South Auckland but is known to often visit the Wellsford area.

She’s described as about 160cms tall with long black hair.

Police are asking anyone who knows where she is or with information to call 111 and quote reference number 251114/0125.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Members of the public yell abuse as man appears in court charged with hurting baby

Source: Radio New Zealand

Hutt Valley District Court. RNZ / Samuel Rillstone

Members of the public yelled abuse at a Lower Hutt man as he appeared in the dock on charges of intentionally hurting a baby.

The 30-year-old pleaded not guilty to all charges when he appeared in Hutt Valley District Court on Monday.

Police responded to a callout for disorder in the suburb of Avalon on Thursday morning.

The 30-year-old was arrested and charged after unexplained injuries were found on the child, who was taken to hospital in a serious condition.

It is at least the fourth serious child abuse case in the Hutt Valley in recent months.

Today, two women were removed from court by security after yelling insults and threats at the accused at the beginning of proceedings.

The man has been remanded in custody until his next appearance on 22 December.

Police earlier said they would like to speak with anyone who may have more information.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Lower Hutt man charged with intentionally injuring baby pleads not guilty

Source: Radio New Zealand

Hutt Valley District Court. RNZ / Samuel Rillstone

A man charged with four counts of intentionally injuring a baby in Lower Hutt is pleading not guilty to all charges.

It is at least the fourth serious child abuse case in the Hutt Valley in recent months.

Police responded to a callout for disorder in the suburb of Avalon on Thursday morning.

The 30-year-old was arrested and charged after unexplained injuries were found on the child, who was taken to hospital in a serious condition.

Police said at the time they would like to speak with anyone who may have more information.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Firefighters battle to free driver trapped in Otago logging truck crash

Source: Radio New Zealand

Firefighters are working with specialist equipment to rescue the driver. RNZ / Rebekah Parsons-King

Firefighters are working to free the driver of a logging truck who is trapped after a crash north of Balclutha.

Police said the crash occurred on Coe Road just after 11am on Monday.

The driver is reported to be seriously injured.

Fire and Emergency said firefighters are working with specialist equipment to rescue the driver.

An ambulance and helicopter are also at the scene.

Coe Road is currently closed between Paterson Road and Hillend Road.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Number of under 16s sleeping rough ‘much larger than we’d first anticipated’

Source: Radio New Zealand

Auckland-based Kick Back has released its first State of the Street report which it says is an SOS to the government and community at large (file image). RNZ / Luke McPake

Young people are sleeping on the streets and in cars as a youth homelessness support service says the problem is getting worse.

Auckland-based Kick Back has released its first State of the Street report, which it says is an SOS to the government and community at large.

“And what we’ve observed is children couch-surfing, sleeping in and out of transitional housing or hostels, moving around constantly,” general manager Aaron Hendry said.

The report comes up with hard figures, the first Kick Back has been able to show in a report like this.

Aaron Hendry. RNZ/ Eva Corlett

It revealed 22 percent of young people were sleeping rough when they first sought support.

Couch-surfers made up 22 percent, 12 percent were sleeping in cars while 27 percent were living in housing classed as unstable, overcrowded or insecure.

The report said 62 percent of young people turning to the organisation for help were under 19 years old.

Sixteen and 17 year olds made up 20 percent, and 17 percent were aged 15 or under.

The latter figure had shocked Hendry.

“It is not something that we expected to see as large as we did,” he said.

“We knew that there would be a significant portion there but it was much larger than we’d first anticipated.”

He said there were no resources to help children who were sleeping on couches, in cars or in the likes of transitional housing or lodges and hostels.

“And I guess this has also been an outcome, in our view, of the cuts that have happened within the public sector and the community sector is that our feeling is that there has been less capacity within the community to respond at the pace that these children require to ensure their safety and to ensure that they get the support that they need,” Hendry said.

“Kick Back is extremely concerned about the growing number of tamariki and rangatahi coming through our front doors ever week,” he said.

He said it is a crisis, and one that is growing.

What Kick Back’s report says needs to happen:

  • Roll back emergency housing reforms and invest in immediate housing solutions
  • Implement Duty to Assist Legislation to clarify the states obligation to provide essential support to people at-risk of homelessness
  • Implement legislation to prevent young people being transitioned from state care into homelessness
  • Review the Youth Services contract and ensure providers are equipped to provide intensive supports to rangatahi on the Youth Payment
  • Build more public housing

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Heavy rain, thunderstorms and strong winds expected as summer officially begins

Source: Radio New Zealand

  • Widespread rain and possible thunderstorms for the North Island Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Strong winds possible for upper North Island mid-week
  • Humid air ahead of a low, followed by a cooler southerly change
  • Improving weather for most areas on Thursday

The start of December might mark the beginning of summer but the upcoming week is not all sunshine and clear, blue skies.

MetService reports a broad range of weather including heavy rain, thunderstorms, strong winds, and sunny spells to finish the week off.

The North Island is in for a warm and humid start, while the south will see cooler temperatures throughout.

The week is set to start with comparatively settled conditions, some cloud and showers for western areas, with sunny spells elsewhere.

Gisborne and Hastings are making the most of their sunny start to the summer season, with temperatures expected to top out at 29 and 31 degrees respectively on Monday.

On Tuesday a low is expected to develop in the Tasman Sea and move toward the country through Tuesday evening.

MetService forecast for Wednesday December 3. MetService

MetService forecast for Wednesday December 3.

This will bring a period of unsettled weather for many regions on Tuesday, Wednesday, and into early Thursday, with heavy rain, strong winds and thunderstorms likely across the North Island.

“That low deepens rapidly and pulls a warm moist sub-tropical airmass across the county during Tuesday afternoon and evening,” MetService Meteorologist Devlin Lynden said.

“It’ll bring widespread rain, strong southwesterly winds and the risk of thunderstorms for many parts of the North Island, including Northland, Auckland and Coromandel.”

While the North Island may be in for the brunt of it, the South Island gets its share of rainy weather too.

A trough is expected to bring rain through Monday night and Tuesday, followed by cool southwesterlies.

The upper parts of the South Island may also see a period of heavier rain on Wednesday associated with the low to the north.

The low gradually moves off to the southeast on Wednesday night, and conditions will ease behind it, before starting to clear through Thursday morning, with many places seeing drier weather and some sunshine return.

However, strong to gale southwesterly winds will persist, particularly for Wellington, Wairarapa, Northland and Auckland; they will keep the temperatures capped towards the end of the week.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Body of Te Anihana Pomana formally identified

Source: Radio New Zealand

Te Anihana Pomana. Supplied

Police have formally identified the body of 25-year-old Te Anihana Pomana.

Pomana went missing on August 21 after leaving SkyCity Hotel in the early hours of the morning.

Last week, police announced a body they believed to be Pomana was found in dense bush in the Pukekohe area.

Police are now able to confirm the body was Pomana and her death has been referred to the coroner.

“As always, our thoughts and sympathies are with Te Anihana’s whanau and friends at this difficult time,” Detective Senior Sergeant Martin Friend said.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Motorcyclist hospitalised after hitting fence while fleeing police in Lower Hutt

Source: Radio New Zealand

The motorcyclist was caught driving in a dangerous manner around 10:30pm in Lower Hutt 123RF

A motorcyclist has been hospitalised after crashing while fleeing Police on Taita Drive, in Lower Hutt last night.

Hutt Valley Area Commander, Inspector Wade Jennings, says local Police saw the motorcyclist driving in a dangerous manner around 10:30pm.

“Before Police signalled for the rider to stop, they allegedly accelerated, overtook another vehicle and failed to take a bend, crashing into a fence.”

He says the motorcyclist sustained serious leg injuries and was transported to hospital.

“The Serious Crash Unit has examined the scene, and enquiries into the circumstances of the crash are ongoing.”

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand