Fatal crash, Saulbrey Road, Ngaruawahia

Source: New Zealand Police

One person has died following a serious crash in Ngaruawahia overnight. 

Police were called to a single vehicle crash on Soulbrey Road at around 8pm.

Sadly, one person was located deceased at the scene. 

The road was closed while the Serious Crash Unit conducted a scene examination. 

Enquiries into the circumstances of the crash are ongoing. 

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Search to resume tomorrow for man missing off Northland coast

Source: New Zealand Police

Police will be resuming the search for the missing man off the coast of Pataua South tomorrow.

The man was one of two people onboard a boat that was reported overdue on Friday night.

On Saturday morning, the boat was located with no-one aboard, and shortly afterwards the body of one of the pair was found in the water.

Police, including the Police Dive Squad, Search and Rescue crews and volunteers from Coastguard Tūtūkākā and Coastguard Whangārei have been out searching all day, but have not found the second person.

Detective Sergeant Paul Overton says LandSAR and Coastguard were stood down earlier this evening, however the Police Dive Squad continued until dark.

“The Dive Squad will look to continue the search in the morning.

“I’d like extend my thanks the agencies that have been involved in the search, as well as the locals in the area who have been amazing.

“They’ve brought us food, and shown so much care for the families involved in this,” Detective Sergeant Overton says.

Police continue to ask the public to contact us on 111 if you see anything unusual in the water.

ENDS

Issued by the Police Media Centre

Continued appeal for information on woman missing in Upper Hutt

Source: New Zealand Police

Attributable to Detective Sergeant Annalise Ferguson:

Police continue to appeal for CCTV or dashcam footage in the search for missing woman Anita Hart in Upper Hutt.

The search for Anita began in the early hours of Thursday [13 November] morning, after her car was located on Gillespies Road.

Police, along with teams from LandSAR Wellington, LandSAR Wairarapa, Canyon SAR, the Police National Dive Squad, Wellington Police Maritime Unit, Fire and Emergency New Zealand drones and Amateur Radio Emergency Communications, have been extensively searching the Birchville area.

Unfortunately, Anita has not been located.

We are urging anyone has CCTV or dashcam footage that may help us to please come forward.

Police are particularly interested in the Gillespies Road, Bridge Road, Gemstone Drive and Akatarawa Road areas, down to Harcourt Park, between 11:25am and 1pm on Wednesday 12 November.

Anita was last seen wearing a blue beanie with a pompom, a blue jacket, and dark-coloured trousers.

Anyone with information that could help, please call 111 and quote reference number P064438940.

ENDS

Issued by the Police Media Centre

Trade Minister cautiously welcomes US tariff relief on key exports

Source: New Zealand Government

Minister for Trade and Investment; and Agriculture, Todd McClay, has cautiously welcomed the United States announcement this week removing the additional reciprocal tariffs on a range of New Zealand agricultural products, including beef, offal, and kiwifruit.

These products represent around 25 per cent of our exports to the United States, worth approximately NZ$2.21 billion annually.

“The US remains an important trade partner for New Zealand and the decision to lift these tariffs is a step in the right direction and will be welcomed by exporters who have faced months of uncertainty and higher costs,” Mr McClay says.

The additional tariffs were first introduced in April at 10%, and increased to 15% in August based on New Zealand running a modest trade surplus with the US.

“Returning to the pre-reciprocal tariff access we had before April provides some much-needed stability for our farmers and processors. We estimate this is a saving of around $330 million in additional tariff duty.

“However, this is only a partial rollback. Tariffs remain in place on other important New Zealand products, and the broader reciprocal tariff framework continues to create cost and uncertainty for our exporters.

“New Zealand has a balanced and complementary trade relationship with the United States. US goods imported by New Zealand only face on average a 0.3% tariff rate with very few restrictions.

“I have spoken directly with my US trade counterpart USTR Jamieson Greer a number of times over the last few months and will continue to make the case that New Zealand’s trading relationship with the US is balanced and that the additional reciprocal tariffs on other New Zealand exports should also be removed.”

Note to editors:

Main New Zealand exports covered by the tariff reduction announcement: Beef, prepared meats, offal, kiwifruit, misc. fresh fruit, berries, avocados.

Work ongoing to locate fourth deceased at Sanson fire scene

Source: New Zealand Police

Attributable to Inspector Ross Grantham, Manawatu Area Commander:

Police can confirm the number of people deceased at the scene of the Sanson house fire is four.

The bodies of two children have been recovered from the scene this evening, and family was present during this time to bless them with karakia.

Work is ongoing to locate the body of a third child, while the body of an adult has already been removed.

The family of the deceased are devastated at the loss of their loved ones. They are thankful and very grateful for the support and concern they are receiving from the community.

Investigators will tomorrow focus on recovering the third child, and completing a meticulous and thorough scene examination.

This tragedy has shocked not only the local community, but also many people across the country.

Police are not seeking anyone in relation to the fire. Our investigators remain determined to find answers to as many questions as we can.

ENDS

Issued by the Police Media Centre

Homicide investigation launched, Kaitaia

Source: New Zealand Police

Attribute to Detective Inspector Geoff McCarthy: 

One person is in custody and a homicide investigation has been launched following a serious incident in Kaitaia this afternoon.

Emergency services were called to the Okahu Road address about 12.35pm following a report of assault.

The victim was located at the address in critical condition, however despite emergency services best efforts, they sadly died at the scene.

Police have arrested a person a short time later, at a separate address, in relation to the incident and are not seeking anyone else at this stage.

Cordons are in place and a scene examination is due to take place tomorrow.

A 57-year-old woman is due to appear in Kaitaia District Court tomorrow, with charges to be confirmed.

Further information will be released when it becomes available.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Tongariro Alpine Crossing reopens

Source: NZ Department of Conservation

Date:  16 November 2025

DOC Central North Island Operations Director Damian Coutts says both DOC and Fire and Emergency New Zealand are confident the track is safe for visitors.

“We will continue to monitor for hotspots across the fire area, but we are satisfied the Tongariro Alpine Crossing can be safely opened.”

“It won’t look quite like it did before,” says Damian, “from the scorch marks on the pou Te Ririo, to the blackened landscape, it’s a sobering view. We’re inviting people to visit respectfully, to come back with a sense of awe and compassion for this place.”

Ngāti Hikairo ki Tongariro spokesperson Te Ngaehe Wanikau says it is with both sorrow and joy that hapū will lift the rāhui over the track on Monday morning.

“The mamae we feel for our maunga is deep. Tongariro has carried our stories, and our identity for generations, and seeing the land scarred has touched many hearts across Aotearoa. For some, returning to the Crossing will be like a pilgrimage, a time to stand with the maunga, to breathe with him again, and to acknowledge the journey ahead. Haere mai.”

“Yet even in this sadness, we find strength. Our pou, Te Ririo, still stands. His survival reminds us of the resilience of our whenua and of our people. There is hope in that. And together Ngāti Hikairo ki Tongariro, Aotearoa, and the world can help guide Tongariro toward healing and renewal.”

Mangatepopo Road and the car park have suffered some damage, and the car park is currently unsafe to use. While the car park is assessed and repairs are arranged, transport to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing will be limited to shuttle drop-offs and pick-ups. For safety reasons, private cars will not be allowed to enter Mangatepopo Road.

Damian says local businesses have been hurting over the last week.

“This is a really good chance for those who wish to walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing to support local shuttle operators who provide transport options for the track.”

The fires started on Saturday 8 November and extended to an estimated 2,935 hectares of Tongariro National Park. Areas of the Mangatepopo (Ditch) Track – which forms part of the Tongariro Northern Circuit Great Walk – have been heavily affected, and it will require time to understand the magnitude of the impact on flora and fauna.

Damian says this damage will take some time to repair, but thanks to some quick work, access to tracks and huts is almost back to normal.

“Mangatepopo Track will remain closed until further notice, and we thank everyone for their continued patience.

“Fortunately, aside from Mangatepopo Track, all other tracks in Tongariro National Park will be open from 9 am on Monday for visitors to enjoy, as will Mangatepopo Hut,” says Damian.

Bookings for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing are open from 1 pm on Sunday 16 November.

Background information

What’s open?

  • From 9 am Monday 17 November all tracks in Tongariro National Park will be open except for Mangatepopo Track. Mangatepopo Hut will also reopen.
  • Oturere Hut remains closed for replacement (unrelated to fire).
  • Tongariro Visitor Centre will open Monday 17 November at 11 am, and resume normal operating hours.

Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Map 

Tongariro track closures map (PDF, 23,013K)

Contact

For media enquiries contact:

Email: media@doc.govt.nz

Renewed appeal for information for missing man Louis

Source: New Zealand Police

Waikato Police are renewing appeals for information as concerns grow over the whereabouts of missing man Louis.

The 44-year-old has been missing since Thursday 13 November, and Police have been searching the area where he was last known to be.

Louis was last seen at around 10am, believed to be heading to the Tui Domain Track via the Hamilton Street entrance, at the base of Mount Te Aroha.

“Since then, there have been no sightings of Louis despite our efforts to locate him,” says Detective Inspector Matt Cranshaw.

“As time passes, we are getting more concerned for his wellbeing.”

Detective Inspector Cranshaw says Police have been searching around Te Aroha, with volunteers from Land Search and Rescue, and Canyon Search and Rescue in bush areas and streets nearby.

“We ask members of the Te Aroha community to review any CCTV or dashcam footage they may have from Thursday.”

Louis was last seen wearing a dark blue shirt, brown pants, and old blue and white striped jandals.

“If you someone that may look like Louis, or someone wearing clothes like this description, please contact us.”

If you have information that could assist us in locating Louis, please contact us online at 105.police.govt.nz, clicking “Update Report” or by calling 105.

Please use the reference number 251114/9651.

Information can also be provided through Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Police appealing for information after burglary in Napier South

Source: New Zealand Police

Police are appealing for information from the public after a burglary in Napier South overnight.

At around 8.50am, Police were notified of the burglary at the Red Cross shop on Carlyle Street.

After initial enquiries it is believed the incident occurred between 5pm on Saturday and 8.30am on Sunday.

Police are now working to determine what has occurred and are urging anyone who may have information to contact us.

We would like to hear from anyone who may have CCTV or dashcam footage in the Carlyle Street area, as well as anyone who has information that can assist in our enquiries.

If you have information that can assist in our investigation, please contact us online at 105.police.govt.nz, clicking ‘Update Report’ or by calling 105.

Please use the reference number 251116/5294.

Information can also be provided anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Update: Fatal house fire incident, Sanson

Source: New Zealand Police

Police investigators are beginning a complex scene examination following several fatalities at the scene of a house fire in Sanson.

Emergency services were called to the property, southwest of the town on State Highway 1, about 2.30pm yesterday. Several people are believed to have died at the property and Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the fire.

A scene guard remained in place overnight and investigators returned to the scene this morning.

Manawatū Area Commander Inspector Ross Grantham said Police are not yet in a position to confirm the number of fatalities.

“We are waiting for the completion of the scene examination, which will also help us piece together the circumstances that led to this tragic event.

“The investigation team will be working their way through the property today, supported by a forensic pathologist. This won’t be a fast-moving operation; it will be methodical and take time to work through what is a pretty complex and hazardous scene.”

There were concerns about the stability of the remaining structure and “we need to make sure our people are safe while they carry out their work”, Inspector Grantham said.

While the investigation was ongoing, Police are also providing wrap-around support to the family and neighbours.

“I want to acknowledge the support we’ve had from the Sanson township and wider Manawatū community. Events like this hit at the hearts of our communities and we are doing everything we can to answer the many questions around this devastating incident.”

Further information will be provided when it becomes available.

ENDS

Issued by the Police Media Centre