Three men arrested after several hurt in gang-related robbery in Christchurch

Source: Radio New Zealand

RNZ / Keiller MacDuff

Three men have been arrested after four people were injured during a gang-related robbery at a home in Christchurch.

Emergency services were called to an address on Hoani Street in Northcote at about 9.30pm on Wednesday.

Police cars, vans and mobile units crowded into the quiet Papanui street. Armed scene guards stood at the first of several cordoned areas, with a large tent visible beyond several strings of police tape.

One person was in a critical condition, and another suffered serious injuries. The two other people were in a moderate condition.

Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said the robbery was a gang-related incident and was targeted towards parties at this address. Police also believed a gun was shot during the robbery.

RNZ understood the incident was believed to involve members of rival gangs Black Power and Mongrel Mob.

Superintendent Tony Hill said in an update on Friday morning that three men had been arrested.

The men, aged 19, 31 and 40, have been charged with aggravated wounding and aggravated robbery. Two of the men are due to appear in the Christchurch District Court today, and the 40-year-old is due to appear in Dunedin.

Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident, Hill said.

“This was a coordinated effort focused on one clear outcome: holding those responsible to account and protecting our community,” Hill said.

“We will not tolerate this type of offending. If you choose to commit serious violence, we will act swiftly.

“Incidents like this understandably concern people. Please be reassured this was a contained incident, and there is no ongoing risk.”

He said residents can expect to see police at the Hoani Street address again on Friday as a scene examination continues.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand